Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Oh frustration!

I decided I was going to make a shawl for my 81 year old grandmother for Christmas. At first I had chosen the Simply Soft Shawl on the Caron website and ordered 3 skeins of simply soft in grape.

Then I saw the Half Moon Shawl (Laura's version is amazing!) and thought I would do that.

But the Seraphina Shawl keeps catching my eye. I've seen a bunch of these on Crochetville lately and think they are amazing! I've read how difficult the pattern is to understand, so was very hesitant to start.

Tonight, anonymous husband was taking a nap and Little Monster was playing with barbies in her room, so I had a rare hour to myself and figured I would give it a shot. Oh frustration!

The written instructions are ok the first few rounds but quickly spiral into mass confusion (at least for me!). If it wasn't for the pictures and counting stitches, I would have given up already. But I'm stupidly stubborn, kept going, and am now on Row 12!! Woohoo!

Lemme tell you, this is no subway project!

I'm using Caron simply soft in grape and an "I" hook. I have 3 skeins of this grape and am praying that it'll be enough to finish it. So far, I love the way it looks!



I know I've got a long way to go, but I'm stoked I got this far!

6 comments:

Lesalicious said...

So far so good keep it up Christina you can do it. I think your grandmom will be please when you is done. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Simply Soft is a good choice; it won't be too heavy and its oh so soft and warm. Can't wait to see the FO!

Mimi said...

That is looking good so far...
I would try that pattern some day, its very pretty.

CraftyAshley said...

Your doing great. Nice job on getting time to yourself and even nicer on spending that time for someone else doing something that is really hard. Your awesome! Keep it up and can't wait to see it finished!

Cami said...

Wow, this is going to turn out great! I love the color you are using. Can't wait to see it finished.

Anonymous said...

hi christina, love the color you used..what type of yarn is caron btw?, would love to see the updates on your seraphina shawl..
I started my seraphina shawl two months ago but decided to put it aside for a while due to several reasons..first I checked my stash..and found out that i have limited yarn for the shawl, and second the pattern I got from the net has errors..and just only last month that I found out that about the errata...
more photos...