Sunday, March 29, 2009

Egg Head

Today, I saw The Kansas Hooker's adorable Easter Bunny pattern. I thought how cute something like that would be with a hidden egg inside. After some thinking, this very simple Egg Head was born. Its easy enough for a beginner.



Material:
J hook
2 strands of Bernat Baby Coordinates held together. One strand of WW yarn should work just as well.
Felt
Yarn Needle
Wiggle Eyes
Jumbo size plastic egg

Gauge: 6hdc x 6 rows = 2 inches
Ch. 23
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd chain from hook and each ch. across, turn.
Rows 2-20: Ch.2, hdc in each st. across, turn.

It should measure 7.25" by 7". It doesn't need to be exact. It can be a bit bigger, but if it is smaller, your egg might not fit.



Fasten off, leaving a 10" tail for sewing.Fold right sides together and whipstitch sides, forming a tube.



At the end of the tube, weave the yarn tail in and out of the top row of stitches. Pull the tail tightly to gather. Fasten off and turn right side out.



Fold the tube in half, tucking the open half into the gathered part.



Cut wings, feet, and beak out of felt.
Using the picture as a guide, whipstitch felt parts onto the tube.
(Tip: I find it easiest to poke even holes in the felt with a yarn needle before whipstitching it into place).

Glue on wiggle eyes. If this will be for a small child, please embroider the eyes on instead for safety.

Insert the plastic egg, filled with goodies.

It would be very easy to make this into a bunny by cutting long ears instead of wings from felt and cutting a circle instead of a triangle for the nose.
Feel free to sell items made from this pattern, but do not sell this pattern.
Copyright 2009 @ Crafty Christina

6 comments:

Caranna said...

That's super cute Christina!! What a fun idea!

Bezzie said...

That's how I used to knit my hats!

Very cute--and everything is cuter with googlie eyes!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh, my goodness, that is adorable! If I had plastic eggs, I would be making this!

Louise said...

That is really cute! I need to go buy some plastic eggs just so I have something to cover!

Lorena said...

How cute! I've got to make some for my nieces and nephews!

Ally said...

My boys would LOVE these! Thanks for sharing, they look like fun to make. =)