Wednesday, December 12, 2007

St. Maurus Headwarmer




Gauge: 5 sc x 4 rows = 1.5 “
Materials: Patons Classic Marino Wool (less than 1 skein), a button, and an I (5.5mm) hook or any size hook to obtain gauge.


Body of headwarmer
Chain 76
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 4 chs, *ch.5, sk.5 chs, sc in next 5 chs.* Repeat from * to * across. (You will have 8 sc sections and 7 chain sections. These chain sections will create the Jacob’s ladder loops)


Rows 2 – 12: ch. 1, turn. *sc in next 5 sts, ch.5, sk.5 sts.*, repeat across.
Fasten off and weave in ends.


Sides
Row 1: On either short side of the body, attach yarn with a sl. st. and work 12 dc evenly across row. Ch.3, turn.

Row 2: Decrease in first 2 dc., dc across to last 2 dc, decrease in last 2 dc. Ch.3, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until there are only two dc left. Fasten off and weave in ends. Repeat on other short side.


To complete Jacob’s ladder loops
Starting at the bottom of the body, slip crochet hook under the two bottom chain 5 loops (as demonstrated in picture 2).


Picture 2


Pull the 2nd loop under the first loop. Then slip your crochet hook under the 3rd loop and pull through the 2nd loop. Continue in this manner until all loops are pulled through. Use a safety pin or sewing pin to keep the top 2 loops attached to each other. Repeat with all remaining chain sections.

When your Jacob's ladders are completed, it will look like Picture 3.

Picture 3

Border
Round 1: Join with a sl. st. to any stitch, ch.1, sc around the headwarmer. When you arrive at the pinned loops, 2 sc in the loops. This will secure both loops together.

Round 2: Sc around.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Sew your button to one side of headwrap. There is no need to make a buttonhole, as the space between dcs serves nicely for this.
***Fun fact: St. Maurus is the Patron Saint against cold weather.***

9 comments:

Laurah said...

No way! I love this headwarmer! It's got style and funtionality. The button closure is a good idea as ties always stick out of the back of my head where you knot it. Also, I've never tried the Jacob's Ladder stitch so I'm glad there's tutorial photos. BTW, I love the fact about Catholic saints. Makes me feel better about all reading I give up to crochet!

CraftyAshley said...

That is a nice head warmer. I will be trying it out soon. Let us know how it goes with the calender. Great job.

Cami said...

This is adorable. I am making an afghan using the same Jacobs Ladder pattern. Thanks for explaining how to do the final row with the saftey pins, I was a little worried about how to finish it.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work!!!! I almost couldn't tell you and your sis apart, can you believe that?

Lesalicious said...

You know I am going to say love it love it and best of luck getting your pattern submitted:) great job.

Zarah said...

Just had to share that I had a dream last night wherein my BFF, who does not crochet in real life, made me a St. Maurus headband using your pattern but with something like fingering weight yarn. It was itty bitty, but very cool. But very weird in a dream lol

Anonymous said...

I found your awesome pattern through Crochet Patterns Central, and I love your headwarmer. I operate a charity in San Antonio, and one of our missions is to provide warm items to one of our sister churches who minister to a very poor community. May I have your permission to make these (they would be given free of charge to the recipients) and may I share the pattern (with a link to your site) with our members? My email contact is naoverland [at] yahoo [dot] com--thank you so much. The address for our charity is www [dot] kaps4karing [dot] org.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your pattern through ravelry and it is perfect! exactly what i was looking for :) Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to try this one.

Erin said...

I love this headwarmer!!! Awesome pattern!! Works up great! Thank you!!!