Friday, February 29, 2008

Seraphina, Take 2

So remember way back in December when I said I wanted to make another Seraphina shawl? Since I'm between swaps, I thought it'd be a good time to start.

I'm using Joanns's Rainbow Boucle and a K hook. I love the feel of this yarn and I love the way the color gradually stripes itself. It was a bit of a mother trying to start working with this yarn, but after a little frogging, I got the hang of it.



I haven't decided yet if I want to keep this one or give this to my other (non-dirty) grandmother for Christmas. Never too early to start, eh? She loves bright colors and this would be great for her. If I decide to give it to her, I'll definitely make myself one too, though maybe in a different color.

I need your opinion peeps. I really like this colorway, but anonymous hubby seems to think it looks like seaweed. He says I look like some sort of sea creature covered in seaweed! I've asked a few people I know their opinions and its a mixed bag. Some say it looks great and some say I could be in the next rendition of the little mermaid.

Also, March is National Crochet Month. Whodathunkit? In celebration, I'd like to pop my blog contest cherry!

I'm thinking something along the lines of a funny picture that people can try to come up with the funniest caption for. Knitters welcome too, of course. They can have a week to submit the captions and then I'd put up a poll on the side of the blog for a week, where people can vote. The funniest (by vote) will win a prize from me...probably a skein of yarn and some other small thing. What do you think? Would you participate?

14 comments:

Zarah said...

Well I don't think it's quite seaweed-ish, but it is pretty green. If you like it though, go for it!

I would totally participate in a blog contest. Great idea.

Karen said...

It's more of a....St. Patrick's Day green. I like it.

And blog contest? I'm in....I'll have a contest on my blog in April for my blogiversary! :)

Laurah said...

I guess it could be seaweedy. I really like the color, but then again I also love bright, cheery colors. Your 'non-dirty' grandma has good taste in colors!
I've never worked with the Rainbow Boucle, but boucle in general is hard for me to work with unless I'm using a larger hook size and a Boyle hook.
Oh, and a contest sounds like fun!

Mimi said...

I'd vote anytime...but I'm not in for a funny caption. I'm just occupied about serious stuff (haha...)
I like green, but bright green is too much for me.

Bezzie said...

I wish I have seen seaweed that pretty! I say go with it. Now if you start wearing black bustiers and blood red lipstick, grow tentacles and put on 100 pounds ala the evil Sea Witch in the Little Mermaid, then yes, I'd say it looks like seaweed.

Samantha said...

Does he have any idea how lucky he is to have found a mermaid? hahaha.

I'm down with a contest, go for it!

Caroline said...

A contest is a great idea! Count me in!!

Laura said...

Hooray for contests! Count me in too! The shawl design is very pretty, but I'm really not much into green, except for maybe mint green, and the occasional celery-ish green. I had some of that Rainbow Boucle in a pink/white colorway, and it was so pretty, but I just couldn't see my stitches in it. I ended up selling it on Ebay with some other yarn I wasn't using.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen seaweed that color. I like it! I like contests, but I don't think I can make any funny pics.

Anonymous said...

ok, so anonymous husband just might be right, it may have a sea-weed-ish vibe going on. HOWEVER, I think non dirty grandma would love it! Esp since you said she likes bright colors. If you are going to make your self one, choose a different color :) Anony Joyce

Anonymous said...

That's a great shawl! Somebody on Crochetville posted a chart, so maybe now I can actually figure out how to follow the blasted pattern.

CraftyAshley said...

I think it looks very pretty. And with the sensations I love to watch them work their magic. It will be so neat to see all the different color variations. I'm up for a contest! Hope you had a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CraftyAshley said...

Hey Christina I was surfing Ravelry and found another Seraphina using a green rainbow bouncle. Here is what it looked like completed.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/trifarina/seraphinas-shawl