Sunday, February 24, 2008

Popcorn anyone?

Happy Sunday peeps! Its not quite 10am and its blissfully quiet in my house. Hubby and Pi are still fast asleep. I love mornings when I can have an hour or so to myself!

It snowed on Friday. While I was at work, hubby and Pi went into the backyard to play in the snow. Pi isn't much of a snow person, so she wasn't out long but hubby managed to catch this pic before she went in.

I think its hilarious!



I finished one of my hats for the February Charity Blitz. I first saw the pattern for the Divine Hat on Laurah's blog. As Laurah said, this pattern looks complicated but it very easy! It also works up in no time because of the large hook size. I used a half skein of leftover RHSS in burgandy.



I should have followed Laurah's advice and used a smaller hook. Normally, I crochet very tightly and go up a hook size, so I thought staying with the recommended hook would be ok.

When you get towards the end of the hat, you are supposed to do 4 rows of ribbing. After I'd done only the first row, I could tell the hat was looking a bit big. I tried it on and it fit perfectly, which says alot because of my oversized head. We've already established how large my head is, right? Anyhow, if I'd done any more ribbing, it would have sat over my eyes. Rather than frog the whole thing, I just left it with one row of ribbing.

This pattern is a keeper and is going into my pile of patterns that gets used often.



My poor abandoned Cathedral Window got pulled out of the closet yesterday! I managed to add another 5 rows, ending at the first popcorn row. The popcorn round is much easier than I thought it would be, but it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to finish. I'm not looking forward to the last popcirn row, which is at least double the size of this one.



I got bored with going round and round (and round!), so I started doing some of the large heptagons that get added in the next step.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that you were right about Monopoly Laurah. Once hotels are built, the game flies! We played again on Friday and Saturday night. I won both games and hubby's reaction was "well, this is why you do the bills." LOL

10 comments:

Laura said...

That's a cute picture of your daughter! My son loves snow, and my daughter is OK with it. Me on the other hand though...

Anyway, I saw that hat on Laurah's blog too, and also love it. Yours came out great! I'm too chicken to attempt that hat! I find that hats need to be a a little larger than average for me too - we just have to tell ourselves that we don't have big heads, it's just that we have thick hair, LOL!

The afghan is coming out beautifully so far! I personally don't have much patience for afghans. I started a full-bed size granny rectangle afghan for my daughter last year, and it needs about another 6 inches, and a border, but I just can't bring myself to finish it, because one round takes me about an hour. I need to just go ahead and finish it before I never get it done.

Laurah said...

Always love to see progress on the Cathedral. It's kinda like the equivalent of a crochet marathon - it's an accomplishment just geting to the finish line.
That is so cute about the snow! Reminds me of making snow angels when I was a kid.
Love the hat. The red color is really pretty with those textured hats. Cocoacream on Wordpress made a cable hat in red that looked great, too. I like the spiral because it's a clever pattern and super easy.
My brother has a giant head, but crochet hats are usually a tad too big on me, in height and circumfrence.

Dragonflymom said...

I love the hate, I will have to check out the pattern and try it myself, I don't have a "hat" head.........but this looks really nice.

Mimi said...

Cute hat! And the cathedral window is wonderful! I have tried making seemingly endless popcorn stitches in a square...it may have been boring, but the result was so worth it ;)

Bezzie said...

Awww...snow angels! Loving that afghan!

Cami said...

the cathedral blanket is coming along nicely. I know what you mean by sick of it, I'm in the same boat with one that i am working on. i have also wanted to make one of those hats. I saw laurah's and thought it would be a good one for my hubby. We'll have to see when I get time to actually make one.

Laurah said...

I just found this post from Alicia Paulson about how she gets the blurry background in a photo. Not sure if you read her blog or not but I though you might be interested. :)

CraftyAshley said...

What a cute snow angel! Your hat looks gorgeous! I love the color. Your Cathedral afghan is coming along. I love seeing its progress!

Micky said...

It's very pretty. Great color combination.
:)

Sondra said...

Everything is GORGEOUS! (((((HUGS))))) sandi