Saturday, March 14, 2009

McGuyver, are you there?

So the grandfather who had knee replacement surgery was transferred from the hospital to a physical therapy center this afternoon, for a 3 week stay. That was about 3 p.m.


By 7, he'd decided he disliked the place so much that he wouldn't stay there until Monday when he could be transferred somewhere else. He hatched a plan and revealed it to me when I got there about 7:30 p.m.


In this little scheme, I play McGuyver. Since my parents and uncle are all in PA and my grandmother doesn't drive, I'm the closest thing he's got to a getaway.

Grandpa decided I would bring a wheelchair to the PT place. How and where I would get the wheelchair were details that seemed unimportant to him.

Then he would sign himself out of the place and I'd somehow get him into his car. I'd drive him home and help him to his apartment, which is on the 2nd floor. How he would climb the steps with a freshly replaced knee that isn't healed yet is another unimportant detail, apparently. On Monday, I'm somehow supposed to get him back down the steps and transferred into a nicer PT place.

Oh yeah, and all this is supposed to magically coordinate with the girl scout trip we are going on tomorrow. Yeah, mmmkay.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? I've got nothing to work with. Nothing! Even McGuyver got a paperclip, rubber band, and a pen to conduct his rescues!

There is good news though. I managed to borrow a wheelchair from someone I know. Not bad for such short notice, methinks. Maybe I've got a chance to prove the McGuyver in me.

I'll let you know how the escape plan goes tomorrow.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Good luck!

Laura said...

LOL about the escape plan! Poor guy. I understand how he feels.
I spent a week in the hospital in 2001, when my colon ruptured, and I was miserable, lonely, and depressed, especially in the evenings when visiting hours were over, and my husband had to go home. I hope you can get your grandpa into a rehab center he'll like better. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Good luck with the escape! And I totally understand him, I really dislike hospitals

Mimi said...

Hope it goes well - it is sweet of you to be taking care of your grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Just in case you need it for the next time because you know there is always a next time. You can rent wheelchairs, crutches, and other things like that at most drug stores or a health care type place. Sometimes you can rent just for a day and other times it's by the week. Just call and ask around.

I hope that your grandfather's recovery is going well!