Friday, March 27, 2009

I tied the knot

Well, I tied that knot a little over 3 years ago, but that's not what I'm talking about. A bag from the S.E.W Sew Everything Workshop is what I'm referring to.
It was labeled as very easy and very easy is something I can stand behind, hee hee. Cutting out the pieces was easy and I didn't have any trouble getting the bag sewn together.

This fabric is a scrap a friend sent me to practice on and I love it. Its funky enough to be different but not weird. This is how the bag is meant to be worn, with a knot.



I felt like the bag was too short on me with the knot, so I figured I would learn how to use the automatic button-hole maker on the sewing machine. It took a few tries and my nose in the manual for awhile, but it worked like a charm.

Viola, longer handles!



It was a lot easier than I expected it to be. Now I keep looking at things to make button-holes on. :)



That's all the crafting that happened this week. My job is changing location next month, from Wall Street to the Village, and we've been nutty busy trying to clean up. The firm is hoping to become as "paperless" as possible. I've spent a good chunk of OT on scanning my files and cleaning my desk out of nearly 6 years worth of notes, memos, and files. I'm hoping to get it all done by the second week of April because I'd like to take my vacation during Easter week. Cross your fingers for me, as I'm not even halfway there yet.

We're also going to the circus tomorrow with Girl Scouts. Its a 45 minute subway ride, so maybe I'll bring a crochet hook with me to scratch some of the fiber itch I'm having. I need to crochet something...anything! Maybe a simple granny square for charity or a hat. Oooh yeah, a hat!

7 comments:

Andrea Moberly said...

Super cute bag! I love the automatic button hole maker too - makes you feel like a pro! good job :)

Bezzie said...

Wuhahahahahahahahahaha!!! Paperless firm! Wuhahahahahahah! I think the legal field keeps the paper industry in business! Ha ha! Good luck with the move. We did that in September and it was a bitch. I spent all week looking for a box of files that I know got lost in the move!

I'm very jealous of your buttonhole prowress. I can't figure it out on my machine!

Laura said...

That bag is adorable! I love the button instead of the knotted handle.

Anonymous said...

That is a great bag! Congratulations on learning how to use your button ole maker!h

Caroline said...

Love the bag...you're right the fabric is fun and funky. I don't have an automatic button-holer on my acient machine...sooooo lucky!
We're under 1 ft. of snow here and its still coming down!

Subway Hooker said...

Oy, so much to catch up on! Busy-ass week all around, it seems.

First of all, awesome bag! Like, truly stunning. You should be very very proud of this!

On the bunny: I don't know if the issue with curves for you is following the lines or clipping the seams, but seam-clipping is a miracle-worker. Basically, it lets the fabric make the turns you are asking it to. The trick is to cut the seam allowance perpendicularly to the seam closely, but not so closely as to cut the seam itself. If you clip every, I dunno, half-inch or so, you should be good to go.

Finally, I second your tribute to farmers. As a non-meat-eater, I am oh-so-happy to enjoy the spoils of their toils on a daily basis. I've tried growing food in our garden (apparently, my grandma used to grow veggies in it, right among the flowers), but my efforts have been less than successful (okay, total failure). Keep us posted on your farming forays!

Mimi said...

Lovely bag...good job on the buttonhole!