Sunday, January 11, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

On Friday night I had just started to get ready for bed when I heard sirens outside. Half jokingly, I said to hubby "looks like someone got stabbed again." Not 5 seconds later, there is a pounding on my door. I immediately freak out because I'm not completely dressed since I was changing for bed. Hubby runs for the door and I'm right behind him, wrapped in a blanket, thinking that there must be a fire.

Lo and behold there is a fireman standing at the door decked out in full gear. Before I could start screaming fire, he said the neighbors carbon monoxide detector had gone off and he needed to do a reading in my apartment too. The idea of carbon monoxide had me freaking out just as much. Hubby showed him to the kitchen while I ran to the bathroom to get dressed again.

The fireman said our apartment was clear and told the neighbors to buy a new alarm. I was still totally freaked out though. Talk about an exciting Friday night. I learned that in an emergency, my instinct is to panic. I totally felt like a schmuck...like George from Seinfeld when he pushes kids and runs out of an apartment on fire.

Saturday and Sunday were a lot less exciting, thank goodness. I made another daisy square, even though I said I wouldn't, because its a ROAK over at Crochetville.



I promised Cami I would send something for the Relay For Life fundraiser she is helping with. The theme is home items. I thought that lots of people would do kitchen things, so I went with a bathroom theme. More bath puffs!



I wanted to get some knitting in this weekend too, but I didn't get around to it. I want to try a knit hat, but most of the patterns I've seen require circulars and then DPNs for when the hat gets too small. I've got the circulars but not the DPNs, so hopefully I'll be able to find a hat pattern that is worked flat to get the hang of it.

Hope all you peeps had a good weekend!

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have wondered if they needed replacing. We bought ours three years ago, when we moved it, and it appears to still be working.

Guess we'll know if we don't wake up one day.

Laura said...

Cute projects!

I have a "talking" fire/carbon monoxide detector that my brother bought me a few years ago - instead of beeping, it says "fire" or "carbon monoide" over and over, LOL!

Carbon monoxide poisoning is scary though. I remember a few years ago reading about an entire family here in the Cleveland area who died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Their relatives said the family had been sick for a week or two with what they thought was the flu, then the relatives got worried when they didn't hear from them for a while, so the fire department went to their house, and found the whole family dead - mom, dad and kids. The fire department found a birds' nest in the chimney, clogging it up, which probably led to the carbon monoxide buildup. Very sad.

Bezzie said...

I like your bathpuffs--great idea!

Hee hee, our apartment is so damn drafty, I wonder of CO2 would ever hurt us???

Lorena said...

Holy cow! crazy friday night, I would've been scared too!
Let me know how the DPN's work out for you...I shy away from any pattern that calls out for them!

Cami said...

Wow, what a crazy night. That is a good reminder to me to check ours. Good thing you were able to get dressed and they didn't bang in the door all SWAT like or that would have been really embarassing.
THanks for making those bath puffs. THey look fantastic! YOu are such a sweetheart to make something for this. I really appreciate it.

Cami said...

Wow, what a crazy night. That is a good reminder to me to check ours. Good thing you were able to get dressed and they didn't bang in the door all SWAT like or that would have been really embarassing.
THanks for making those bath puffs. THey look fantastic! YOu are such a sweetheart to make something for this. I really appreciate it.

Ally said...

I'm just now getting into knitting, havent tried DPNs or circular needles yet. Soon I plan on making a hat too, I've seen lots of patterns that use a rectangle. Cant wait to see what you make!

P.S. What wrist warmer pattern(knit) did you use?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what excitement!! We just had an avalanche tonight, a few hours ago, from 11 inches of snow on the roof. I will blog about it tomorrow. I totally love the square!

Laura said...

Christina,

I thought about you when I saw this on the NY Times home page.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/14-catholic-schools-may-shut-down/?partner=rss&emc=rss

I hope this won't affect Pi's school.

Anonymous said...

what is an ROAK