Monday, January 26, 2009

Baby Randi part 2

This weekend was soooo relaxing. I slept, crafted, and lounged around, leaving me feeling so much better.

Baby Randi got more of my crafting attention. I wanted to make a bib, specifically THIS one from Chickpea studio, but the cotton fabric I had for the backing wasn't large enough. Instead, I drew out a rectangular pattern on a sheet of paper and wound up with this. I use the word pattern very loosely. C'mon, its not so hard to make a rectangle.

I realized that I didn't have snaps either, so ribbon closures it was. Mind you, I had no idea how I was going to sew the ribbon in, but it was a problem that could wait. I pulled out the monster 60's sewing machine and started setting up. It was a no go. The machine started making odd noises and the needle wouldn't move. It sounded like a car whose engine won't start. After over an hour of trying to fix it, and possibly maybe (profusely) swearing at it, I put it away. I had to meet my mom anyway.

Mom and I were running some errands and I started explaining the issue with the sewing machine. She listened to me rant and rave. I was so upset that the f-bomb slipped out while describing it. Oops. Mom looked at me with wide eyes and offered to let me borrow hers. The f-bomb might have shocked her, though she's got a potty mouth as bad as me. Sorry ma!

After all the drama, I was able to attempt the bib and ended up with this. Its far from perfect and riddled with mistakes. See the uneven hem at the bottom? Considering its my first bib, I'm happy with it and am going to give it to Baby Randi anyway. She's going to be spitting and drooling on it. I hardly think she'll mind an uneven seam. I hope!



There's a large amount of fleece sitting in my wicker chest (and more in my closet) that I bought on clearance when the Rag Shop went out of business. I pulled a piece out that had Tinkerbell, thinking it was cute and girly but not too babyish and cut it to be 36" by 36".



I had some leftover Bernat's baby coordinates in yellow and edged it with that (the edging pattern is on the Edgerydoo website). Its a really simple chain edging that was super fast to complete and I love the way it turned out!



When Pi saw it, she started moaning about how much she loves Tinkerbell and she wished I had enough left for her. Funny how last September, when we were shopping for backpacks, she told me only babies (imagine her rolling her eyes here) carried Tinkerbell bags. Indecision much? There's definitely not enough for a big kid blanket but there's enough to make a doll blanket. She seemed pretty happy with that compromise.

My sister had 2 more guest passes to her gym and she let me use one yesterday. I did an hour on the elliptical. An hour! I've never never never done an hour on any exercise machine, even when I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now. I'm pretty proud of myself. If you happen to be walking behind me as I go down the subway steps, don't be alarmed at the "ouch, ouch ouch" that you might hear. :)

Happy Monday peeps!

12 comments:

Kaye said...

Love the blanket! I need to blog a similar blanket someone sent me!

Karen said...

Love the blanket! It's so girly. Maybe I need a tink blanket! :)

Congrats on the hour on the elliptical, and the weight loss. Chinese New Year meals didn't help with my diet, but I did manage to run 1/4 mile straight on the treadmill last week....I haven't been able to do that in a couple years.

Cami said...

Oh my gosh, it is so cute! I love the bib, and the ribbon is the best idea ever. I might have to swipe it and try it out for myself, I hate doing button holes. I love that you changed the patten up and made it work for you. You are so amazing. I also love the baby blanket. What a great edging. I'll have to give that one a try to.

Kristina P. said...

That bib is adorable!

I sort of wish I was Baby Randi.

Anonymous said...

The bib and blanky are gorgeous!!! I wouldn't have noticed the uneven hem, had you not mentioned it.

Laura said...

The bib and blanket are adorable! I love the striped fabric on the bib. I know the mom will be thrilled with everything you made.

Now that my daughter's in 5th grade, she's always talking about what the kids in her class think is and isn't cool (since the kids are now officially "preteens", as my daughter likes to remind me), and she says backpacks with characters are on that list, ha, ha! Apparently High School Musical is still OK though, because she says some of the girls have HSM folders and lunch bags.

Lesalicious said...

Keep up the great work with the weight lost. I noticed I have been losing weight myself but, without even trying. I used to be in a 24 pants back doing the summer now down to a 20.

Love the bib I did a baby bag from that same fabric a very long time ago. Glad you back into the sewing stages. :)
Oh by the way I also nominated you for a award. All infor on my blog. :)

Jen said...

Ah, but Tinkerbell is a whole new thing since last September. In the time since Pi declared her babyish, Disney has had a big push on to promote Tinkerbell and her fairy friends. There's an online virtual world, a new direct-to-DVD movie, and more.

So Pi is being no more fickle than any other hip and trendy girl her age. :)

The blanket came out cute, I love the edging you did!

Subway Hooker said...

Randi is a lucky baby indeed! That bib is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to learn how to do that crochet edging thing. I've seen some on baby clothes that I would like to try.

Congrats with the weight loss. I've been working out lately myself and have been losing weight too!!! I hope to start blogging about it as well. Blogging makes me accountable so I'm thinking that would help me to keep it up.

I like the ribbon on the bib.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, I meant to ask, what are you going to do about your sewing machine?