Saturday, October 4, 2008

God Bless the Animals!

Today, our church celebrated St. Francis, the patron saint of animals. St. Francis had a deep love and respect for all of nature. All the children in the neighborhood were invited to bring their pets to the church schoolyard for a special blessing of the animals in honor of St. Francis.

People brought all kinds of animals....dogs, cats, turtles. birds, snails, and Pi's hermit crabs. There was a cat in a carrier that had its eyes on a parakeet nearby. It looked like it was ready to pounce.

Father Tom and Father Walker began the morning with a prayer.



Father Tom blessed each animal individually. Here's Pi getting her crabs blessed.




Blessed crabs!



Honestly, I'm shocked these little guys are still alive. Its been more than a months since we've brought them home. The last time we had crabs (2 years ago), they only lived 2 weeks. Guess these guys are troopers.

5 comments:

Subway Hooker said...

That's so sweet! How nice that you now have blessed crabs! I had hermit crabs for the longest time - they are so bloody cool AND required a bit less care than my beloved kitties did.

Bezzie said...

My old man used to get his cat Boris blessed. Boris was the son of a cat that was kicked out of an Abbey--he was too hellish for the nuns!!!

Laura said...

Ha, ha, about Bezzie's comment! Too funny!

That blessing of the animals is too cute! I hope the crabs continue to do well. Little animals with claws and pinchers make me nervous. I didn't even care for hamsters much until my daughter got her first one, and I now I just love them. They're sweet little creatures.

sissie said...

How nice is this that you can get your animals blessed and even your crabs:) I hope they live long and healthy lives:)

hugs,
sissie

Debbi-a1 said...

That is so cool. I love animals and this was great that they were blessed.