Thursday, May 21, 2009

Turtle Dancing

Sorry for skipping Tuesday's Tribute. The week has been....hectic.

Anywho, I realized this week, that the annual toy drive that Kristie runs every year is getting close (P.S. - She's got loads of free toy patterns on her website). She normally makes the toy delivery in August, so I have to get a box out by late July. This might seem like oodles of time, but in a galaxy far far away, someone who I will not name made a promise of 20 handmade toys. No no, not Voldemort. Store bought toys are accepted too, but where's the fun or creativity in that?

When the someone who shall not be named made this promise, the toy drive was still 11 months away. Seemed like plennnnnty of time. Until Mother Nature played a nasty trick on that someone and sped the calendar forward so quickly that suddenly...wait for the BOOM....its MAY!
I figured it was time to get started. My first stuffed toy just seemed appropriate, since I've been moving at a turtle's pace lately. Its THIS pattern from Lion Brand. Really quick and easy....finished him in an evening. The dark green is Caron pounder and the light green is Caron Simply Soft, both of which were partial balls sitting in my stash.



Turtle thinks he looks slimmer from this angle.



Last night, Piper was in her room plotting a takeover of the world playing and I had the tv to myself. To my husband's horror and my glee, Dirty Dancing was on. I did mention I was an 80's child through and through, right? Don't judge (except for Kristina P., who has made a New Year's resolution to judge as much as possible, therefore she is exempt from my non-judge plea).

Patrick Swayze is not my cup of tea, but the movie always made me wish I could dance...or even have an ounce of rhythm. You'd think, being Puerto Rican, that I'd have some rhythm, but no. I'm like the klutzy two left feet black sheep of the family. People go out of their way to avoid dancing with me at parties. :) Its actually really funny.

You might be wondering what this has to do with the turtle or the toy drive. It doesn't. I just haven't had my coffee yet and sharing these random thoughts seemed like a good idea.

Happy Thursday peeps!

12 comments:

Lorena said...

Love the turtle! my first ever crochet project was the lionbrand octopus...
You can do it...20 stuffies?! by July?! No problem!

Lorena said...

BTW...I love Molly Ringwald and all "her" type movies.

Bezzie said...

I love that pudgy little turtle!!!!

They delete the water scene out of that movie when they put it on TV...that's one of the best scenes!

Kristina P. said...

I love the stuffed turtle!

Ally said...

Cute turtle! Thats one of my fav movies, I love the end the most.

Andrea Moberly said...

I'm sure you'll get all the stuffies done! You just won't get anything else done in the mean time ;)

cute turtle!

Snap said...

Love the turtle. Good luck on 19 more toys!

Mimi said...

Good luck on the toys...the turtle is cute!

Karen said...

Dirty Dancing is one of my top 10 movies. 80's movies ROCK!

The turtle is WAY cute!

Caroline said...

Darling turtle! He looks cuddly! Dirty Dancing is definitely for those 80's children like myself as well. "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." Is one of the all-time greatest movie lines ever.

Laura said...

Cute turtle! And yes, I'm old enough to remember all the 80's movies too. I can't believe how much of the 80's clothes are coming back into style for young people now. It's funny to me. I can't dance a bit either. My husband is a great dancer though. He got stuck dancing with all my oldest sisters' single (or who had boyfriends who don't dance) and slightly drunk girlfriends at my youngest sister's wedding last year, ha, ha!

CrochetDad said...

OK - that is a seriously cute turtle. I'm going to have to make one for my granddaughter.