Back in November, I was browsing through craft blogs and saw this adorable (and free!) Molly Monkey pattern by Larissa at mmmcrafts. I bookmarked it because I didn't think I'd be able to make a stuffed animal just yet. I've looked at the pattern a few times over the last few months, but kept talking myself out of trying it.
This past week, I bought some brown corduroy (2.5 yards for $5!) at a winter fabric clearance sale in the hopes of making a simple skirt. After it was all cut out, I was left with a fair amount of scraps.
Molly calls for corduroy, so I checked to see if I had enough to make her and I did. I figured that for $5, I was already going to get a skirt out of the fabric. If I messed it up, not a whole lot would be lost, so what was the harm in using the scraps to give this stuffie a try?
I'm so glad I did because I love her! Meet Molly Monkey, my first sewn stuffed animal.
A dragonfly button in light green matched the floral fabric in her skirt nicely.
A purple butterfly button played up the purple in the skirt.
The body, sleeves, socks, and skirt were made from quilting scraps that a friend sent to me ages ago to practice sewing on. Her face and eyes were made from felt squares I had in my stash. I thought Molly would look pretty cute in a bow, though next time I want to try the beret in the pattern.
Before she was completely finished, Pi asked who I was making her for. I said I didn't have anyone in mind. She said "good, we can share her." Haha, I guess Molly is going to be living in our house.
I highly recommend you check out mmmcrafts. Larissa is truly talented and I've spent more hours than I care to admit, reading her blog.