Friday, February 19, 2010

Meet Molly Monkey

Back in November, I was browsing through craft blogs and saw this adorable (and free!) Molly Monkey pattern by Larissa at mmmcrafts. I bookmarked it because I didn't think I'd be able to make a stuffed animal just yet. I've looked at the pattern a few times over the last few months, but kept talking myself out of trying it.

This past week, I bought some brown corduroy (2.5 yards for $5!) at a winter fabric clearance sale in the hopes of making a simple skirt. After it was all cut out, I was left with a fair amount of scraps.

Molly calls for corduroy, so I checked to see if I had enough to make her and I did. I figured that for $5, I was already going to get a skirt out of the fabric. If I messed it up, not a whole lot would be lost, so what was the harm in using the scraps to give this stuffie a try?

I'm so glad I did because I love her! Meet Molly Monkey, my first sewn stuffed animal.



A dragonfly button in light green matched the floral fabric in her skirt nicely.



A purple butterfly button played up the purple in the skirt.



The body, sleeves, socks, and skirt were made from quilting scraps that a friend sent to me ages ago to practice sewing on. Her face and eyes were made from felt squares I had in my stash. I thought Molly would look pretty cute in a bow, though next time I want to try the beret in the pattern.



Before she was completely finished, Pi asked who I was making her for. I said I didn't have anyone in mind. She said "good, we can share her." Haha, I guess Molly is going to be living in our house.

I highly recommend you check out mmmcrafts. Larissa is truly talented and I've spent more hours than I care to admit, reading her blog.

9 comments:

Snap said...

Molly is adorable! I LOVE stuffies! Well Done!

Larissa Holland said...

Wow! wow. Molly looks very unlike someone's very first stuffie. :-) She's way too good. She looks fabulous! I adore her socks. What an entry into the softie making world! I'd love to see what else you make. Thanks so much for the kind words about the pattern and the blog, Christina!

Andrea Moberly said...

umm.. awesome! You did a great job. I am seriously impressed!

emosback said...

so cute! you did a very good job for your first stufffie!

Kristina P. said...

You are so freaking talented! Adorable!

Bezzie said...

Very cute! I love the little shoes!

Caroline said...

She turned out darling! The button details are just what she needed. The stitiching around the face and embroider details sre so neat!

Laura said...

Oh wow, your monkey is adorable, and so professional looking! My daughter has a friend who is crazy about monkeys, and I know she would love Molly!

Mimi said...

Cutest girl monkey I've seen, excellent job!