Monday, May 26, 2008

Cathedral Rose Window makes a return

I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend!

The family and I decided to treat ourselves to a movie. We don't go to the movies very often because, let's face it, its highway robbery! We make exceptions when we really want to see a movie and we couldn't pass up seeing The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Hubby and Pi said it was so-so, but I really liked it. This movie doesn't have the innocence of the first, but it was well done. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it/read the book. I'm very much looking forward to more of the Narnia series coming to the big screen.

Since the weather has been nice, we went to the library and the park a few times. I also got some Cathedral Rose Window time in. I realized that it had been an entire month since I'd last worked on it.

This is what it looked like last time I showed you:



This is what it looks like now! Sorry about the darkness of the photo...getting good lighting is something I've yet to master. Filling in all those peaks and valleys sucked!!! I'm really glad to be at the point where I can work in the round again. Its exciting to see this thing grow! It measures about 52" across.

Its very hot when its sitting on my lap, so I'm hoping to work on it more steadily over the next few weeks and get it done. I'd love to be done by July. Is that goal too crazy?

15 comments:

Bezzie said...

No! Not crazy at all--look at all the progress you've made already. The only thing stopping you might be the heat. I did a measly baby blanket one summer...and nearly melted to a puddle!

Laurah said...

It is so interesting see all the little steps for that blanket. So time consuming! Is that the last tedious round or are there more to come?
I saw the first Narnia movie in t he theater with my mom. We both loved it. I do want to see the second one. It looks like that little girl has grown up fast since the last one.
Glad you all treated yourself to a movie. I think big blockbusters are better seen in the theater with the surround sound and the screen and all.

Andrea Moberly said...

That blanket looks so awesome. I am seriously impressed!

I love the Narnia movies too... doubt we'll make it to the theater in time to see Prince Caspian, considering my kids are a little young for it.

Laura said...

I'm with you on the movies - I rarely go to the movies either. Last time my husband and kids and I went, we went to a matinee, had a coupon for one free admission, and snuck in our own candy from the dollar store, and still ended up spending over $40, for three tickets, three small drinks, and a popcorn! Too expensive to do regularly.

The afghan is coming along beautifully! I don't have much patience for afghans. My son's poor ripple "blankie" has been sitting neglected for months, LOL!

I was going to suggest working on it when you're riding in an air conditioned car, but I forgot that living in NYC you probably don't have much need to drive anywhere.

I have no central air in my house - only two measly window air conditioners (the perils of renting - ugh!) so any big, heavy projects can forget about being worked on at home this summer.

Lesalicious said...

I am loving the progress you is doing. I say July is a great goal. Setting yourself a goal you can surely shoot for it. I also have to see that movie I yet to go see it. Great job on the Cathedral Rose Window. :) keep up the great work.

Snappish said...

This is such a stunning project! You seem to work fast so I don't think July is unreasonable at all. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is going to be so gorgeous! I need to try bartering for that pattern somewhere.

Debbi-a1 said...

I think seeing progress will help you finish. You are doing great! This weekend was a cold/hot/cold weekend. When it was hot I put an afghan just barely on my lap, alsmot folded up as close to me on my thighs as I could get it. So then I wasn't dying and it was doable.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was another Narnia movie out! I'm excited now! I read all the books when I was a child. :-)

That blanket is just so gorgeous!! It's coming along nicely too.

Cami said...

Crazy? Are you kidding me, I wouldn't want to be working on that if it is a 100 degress+ like it usually is in July. I love the way it is turing out. Can't wait to see more.

Mimi said...

Wow, that blanket is awesome! The variegated yarn works so well with the design.

Laurah said...

I saw your doily question on Angela's blog. I've actually been researching doilies, too. I found this really great list on Fiberneed:

http://fiberneed.blogspot.com/search?q=doily+list

Dragonflymom said...

That is gorgeous!!

Suezq said...

I am going to be attempting the CRW, so I both applaude & envy your progress. What is holding me up is lack of a pattern. I am on the list at Annie's Attic, but they still don't know when they will get them in. Any chance you would sell or even rent your pattern to me until I get mine? I would like to have the project finished by Christmas, and I do work full time.
I suspect I am not the first to ask...At any rate, your work looks great. Did you use the prescribed colors, or do some substitutions?
S Sum

Crafty Christina said...

Hi Suzeq! Thanks for the compliment on the afghan. I'm not quite willing to let go of my pattern just yet, especially since I haven't finished it. I still have a bit to do. I know you can find the pattern on ebay or sometimes there are ladies selling it on Crochetville. I hope you find it soon!