Monday, November 30, 2009

If you're hungry, you'd better look away fast!

I was hoping to get loads done this weekend on the quilted advent calendar I've been working on. Absolutely no crafting got done on the calendar and I don't feel a bit guilty about it either. I did indulge myself in reading an entire James Patterson book in bed. Ahhh, nothing like a mindless, quick moving, murder mystery. I love the Alex Cross series. It might be related to the fact that he's a psychologist turned cop and my degree is in forensic psych. Anything to so with the topic is fascinating.

Anyhow, hubby and I picked Piper up from her dad's house on Saturday, a day earlier than usual. The extra time meant we were able to cook our butts off on Sunday for our second Thanksgiving. The holidays just aren't the same when Piper isn't around, so we just do it again when she's home. We did the whole giant turkey (we got a 20 pounder free from Shoprite) and cheddar garlic potatoes which are a staple here during the holidays. But the real treats were the desserts.

We used THIS recipe to bake two apple pies. As tempting as it was to completely over-indulge, we gave one of the pies away to our neighbors.



We also made three loaves of pumpkin bread using Kado's recipe. Yum! Very easy and super delicious. I'm not normally a fan of pumpkin and won'r eat pumpkin pie, but this bread is good stuff. Definitely a keeper.


Powdered sugar makes everything better!

We used pecans like Kado suggested and it was the perfect addition. We gave away two of the loaves to neighbors too. The neighbors better love me now, haha.



That pretty much sums up the weekend. Cooking, cooking, and more cooking. Now its back to the grind. You can see exactly how Piper and I feel about that!



Happy Monday!

5 comments:

Ghost said...

Every thing looks so yummy, invite me over to help you eat it up. Hummmmmm!

And I too love the Alex Cross Series by Patterson. It is a good fast read.

Snap said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday weekend and your neighbors are very happy that you bake!!!! Thanks for the recipe and I'm a mystery lover, too.

Kristina P. said...

Mmmmmm, delicious!

Laura said...

Wow, Pi is a lucky kid to have such a great mom, going through all that trouble to make a second Thanksgiving dinner!

Woodland Hills Furniture Removal said...

Nice bloog