Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh, Fransson's Advent Calendar.

I can't even begin to explain how relieved I am to have this project finished! It's the Oh, Fransson Advent Calendar I started last Fall, in the hopes of finishing it for Christmas 2009. Fat chance, Chris, fat chance!


After having some difficulty with it at first (this was only my second quilting project at that point and a flashing red light screaming NOOB NOOB couldn't describe how little I knew), I put it aside to the WIP pile.

There is sat through Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years. In order to have peace during the holidays, I threw balls of yarn over it so I could pretend it wasn't there.

Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's, April fool's day, and Cinco de Mayo all skipped happily along. I'd pretty much forgotten all about this WIP, being hidden under all that yarn.

The one day in June, I moved the yarn and there it was. Still sitting in a pile, waiting patiently for me to finish it. You'd think that I would remember it was there, but I was in total shock when I saw it. Totally and completely forgotten... defense mechanism, anyone? It felt like the project was accusing me... You. Forgot. Me! *shudder* Creepy!

So I sucked in a deep breath and got right back at it. I re-read the pattern, which seemed easier now and made a whole lot more sense to me this time around. I examined what I'd already done and realized I had to rip out about half of it out. *sigh* But at that point I decided it was better to do it right, rather than be unhappy with it when it was all done.

I took my time with the free motion quilting and it's finally finished. I have to say it was more than worth it because I love it. Like love love, for real. The pictures totally do not do it justice!

The fabrics are all random Christmas fabrics from a local craft store (no selvages with the name that I could find on any of them). The white is Kona cotton. I was clearly worried about not having enough fabric and managed to buy double of what I needed. I think there might be a Christmas quilt in my future to use up the leftovers.

Now that Christmas is on the brain, I really really need to get started on gifts.

(I'm proud to say no homework was abandoned in the making of this quilt, haha).

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can't believe we are already talking about Christmas! But I love advent calendars. It's adorable!

Andrea Moberly said...

I'm so jealous of your quilting skills - some day I'll try it too! Its gorgeous!

Caroline said...

Oh its absolutely fabulous, you are going to treasure that. It will be passed down in your family!!