Sunday, March 28, 2010

Who knew freezer paper did that?

Apparently, a lot of people know about the joys of freezer paper. I'm slow to catch on and only discovered freezer paper stenciling recently. If you google it, you'll find a bunch of tutorials.

Here's what I did:

Step 1: Tell hubby to add freezer paper to the grocery list. Don't mention it is for crafting or you might get "the look."

Step 2: Trace a pattern. I used a pattern that I liked from Jenny Hart's Sublime Stitching. Its an embroidery book, but perfect for simple outlines too.

Step 3: Spend a half hour deciding which way is most comfortable to hold an X-acto knife. Also contemplate which way will be less likely to land you in the emergency room minus a finger. Then cut the shape out (make sure you have some cardboard underneath your freezer paper...don't want to scratch your table). I wanted to keep all my digits, so I went slow and this step took me about an hour.

Step 4: Proudly show hubby your stencil. When he says "is that the freezer paper you asked for?" just smile and walk away. Admit to nothing.

Step 5: Iron the paper onto your fabric, shiny side down. I'm using more of that leftover $5 corduroy as my fabric.

Step 6: Totally optional. My old iron bit the dust (it was nearly as old as Pi) and I bought a cheapie new one at Kmart. So, I also spent a moment admiring how much better this one works. If your iron hasn't gone to iron heaven, then like I said, this is totally optional.

Step 7: Paint a thin layer onto the stencil. I used fabric paint and a styrofoam brush to dab the paint on. Pretty sure acrylic would work too. Now's the hard patient and let it dry. Since it was nearly midnight by this point, I just went to bed. If its a normal time of day and you don't want to wait, use a hair dryer.

Step 8: Wake up. Lament that you still can't have coffee (this is again, optional). Then peel the stencil off!

My stencil bled a little bit in two places, but not enough to make me unhappy. Next time, I need to iron the stencil just a little longer to make sure it sticks completely. That should take care of the paint bleeding.

Step 9: Embellish if you want. I used teal fabric paint and a toothpick and freehanded some details onto the flowers. Its a little rough looking (I'm no artist), but I like it.

Tada! How easy was that? I'll be able to show you what I'm making with this pretty soon.

So go grab some freezer paper and start stenciling stuff.


Snap said...

See! I knew your "whole lotta nothing" crafting wouldn't last long. Loved this post!

Laura said...

Very cool! I saw something like that in this Family Fun magazine a few years ago. I made my son a pirate t-shirt with a skull and crossbones (something I printed off the Internet). We used glow in the dark fabric paint, and I was surprised to see that the shirt still glows, even though he's had it a couple of years, and it's been washed a lot.

Karen said...

so fun! I may need to get some freezer paper....

T. Joi said...

As always...INSPIRING!!! I have a baby shower coming up and the girls want to make onesies for the lil button. I will make a few of these stencils ahead of time. Again, thank you for your wonderful ideas!!!

Mimi said...

That is so cool, Christina! Love your tutorial and the finished product :D