Monday, May 31, 2010

Dear Unfinished Quilt,

I haven't forgotten about you. My family has been too busy enjoying the long weekend to work on you much. The evidence is below.

Started the day at the site of the WWII and 9/11 memorials in town. There were nice speeches, wreath distributions, and a town prayer.



The parade procession went right through downtown.



Marchers threw loads of candy for the kids to catch.






Ahh, the marching band. I remember doing that in high school and I don't miss it!

This is about 10 am and we were already baking hot. Pi does open her eyes...just not in pictures with me apparently.


We've been enjoying the local playgrounds.


Look at that sky! Not a cloud to be found! That's the view from my swing, btw. Yes, I still get my big butt on swings, haha.

Bike riding...


Badminton on a tennis court. We've yet to find a volleyball net.


What's summer without a bucket full of water balloons?



What's summer without .... baking? Yeah, I had the crazy urge to bake six dozen sugar cookies in the heat. By the time I had to frost them, I was hot and tired, so I just drizzled the frosting on.



Because I'm crazy, I also wanted to make homemade ice cream sandwiches, which means baking chocolate chip cookies. Giant ones! These cookies have a 5" circumference easy! The cookies were perfect for this because even frozen, they were still chewy.

Add ice cream and viola. Yummmmmm. Way better than storebought.

It's so hot, they started melting right away.
Quilt, I hope you understand why you're not quite finished yet. I'll work on you in a few days, so... see you then quilt!

Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to the men and women who have given their lives serving our country!

6 comments:

Snap said...

Looks like a wonderful day! A yummy one, too!

Kristina P. said...

I have been doing absolutely nothing today. You have had the kind of Memorial Day I wish I were having!

Andrea Moberly said...

I'm sure the quilt will understand... I know I do! What a way to enjoy your time :)

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a good Memorial Day! We've had rain, thunder, and lightning almost all day here in Cleveland.

Those cookies look so good I've been wanting some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies so badly, but my oven, which came with the house I'm renting, has been broken for the past few weeks (and my cheap landlord decided it's not his responsibility to fix it). I bought some packaged chocolate chip cookies, but they're not the same. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Wow, all that in one day! Looks like Pi really had some fun though. What is your sugar cookie recipe? I've been thinking of making my own and using a cookie cutter for diff shapes instead of decorating the store bought ones.

Bezzie said...

Mmmm...love the ice cream sandwich idea!