Friday, January 4, 2008

Meme

I've been tagged by sharkmeat. She didn't tag me electronically...she just called over the cubicle wall we share to tell me to do this. :) (Also, she has learned to knit, but not crochet...YET! Congrats on joining the world of fiber!)

"The list is based on an exercise developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. The exercise developers ask that if you participate in this blog game, you acknowledge their copyright.To participate in this blog game, copy and paste the above list into your blog, and bold the items that are true for you.

Father went to college (Dad was 17 when I was born so went right to work after hs)

Father finished college

Mother went to college (Mom was 17 when I was born so went right to work after hs)

Mother finished college

Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor

Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers (I never much paid attention to social class of my teachers or friends for that matter)

Had more than 50 books in your childhood home (oh yes, I was obsessed with books. Dad still reminds me how many he’d buy me)

Had more than 500 books in your childhood home (absolutely!)

Were read children's books by a parent (my mother read to me a lot)

Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 (I was enrolled in dance classes…ballet, tap, and jazz when I was 7 or 8 and also learned flute in high school).

Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18 (see above)

The people in the media who dress and talk like you were portrayed positively (no! I've always been a bit heavy, even as a kid, and fat kids were just not cool...unless you were Fat Albert)

Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18

Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs

Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs

Went to a private high school

Went to summer camp.

Had a private tutor before you turned 18

Family vacations involved staying at hotels. (my parents had a timeshare type thing, where we stayed in our own log cabin type deal in PA for a week)

Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 (I didn’t have any older siblings, so most of my clothing was new, though mom and I shared clothes when I was a teen).

Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them (my parents never bought me a car)

There was original art in your house when you were a child (I’m not sure if this counts, but my mother hand-sketched a picture of me as a baby that hung in our apartment).

Had a phone in your room before you turned 18 (yes, but I paid for it).

You and your family lived in a single family house (we’ve always lived in apartments)

Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home

You had your own room as a child (yes, until I was 7, then I shared with my sister. As a teen, I had my own room again because my sister and I fought a lot)

Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course (my church paid for a course for all the teens)

Had your own TV in your room in High School

Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College

Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 (yes, Grandma took me with her to Puerto Rico when I was 8).

Went on a cruise with your family

Went on more than one cruise with your family

Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up (no, but we went to the zoo and aquarium)

You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

Onto crochet...
If you've made it this far, I reward you with pictures. Here is some charity crochet. This square is from Kristy over at Crochetville. The deal is that you can get the pattern for free as long as you send in a minimum of one square for Kristy's charity. Go HERE to Kristy's blog for more info.

I love this square and I'd love to commit to making 1 a week, so at the end of the year, I'll have enough for an afghan. I think one of my sisters would love it.



These rectangles are for the Warm up America challenge from Caron. HERE is the thread on Crochetville about that one. Basically, we're making rectangles out of any kind of simply soft and sending it to Caron as a group. Caron will make these into blankets and the group who sends the most will win $300. So we can be useful and help the 'ville!



Additionally, I'm also collecting baby and preemie afghans and hats for a charity I'm personally involved in called Project Athena. This is a blurb I wrote a few months ago about Project Athena:

"Last year, I helped my daughter's girl scout leader, Denorah, with a charity group called Project Athena. Its like Project Linus, where we donate blankets to preemies in our local area. The project is named after her granddaughter, who was born preemie. Glad to say that Athena is healthy and doing very well. Last year, we only had a small number of local volunteers but donated a good amount of blankets. This year we are trying to extend Project Athena to also help a local group that assists teenage mothers who have chosen to give their babies up for adoption, rather than abortion. Denorah is also hoping to make Project Athena a non-profit organization this year. But in order to do that, we can't do it alone!"

Some very generous ladies at the 'ville have sent me wonderful baby blankets, hats, and squares. Thank you ladies!!

Thank goodness its Friday! Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

2 comments:

Sharkmeat said...

you'll suck me in yet! i look in envy at some of the patterns... although imagining it on thinner yarn

Laurah said...

I love that flower square pattern! It takes me about half an hour to make each one so I consider it time intensive. However, the result is worth the extra effort.
The Warm Up America challenge sounds good. With Caron SS those blankets will be really soft.